Sunday, May 3, 2009

Movie review - X-Men Origins: Wolverine

I've been waiting for this one ever since it was announced some time ago. X-Men Origins: Wolverine tells the tale of how Wolverine, as well as other mutants, came to be who they are today. Or at least until the end of the movie. I hear it's not quite how it was in the comics, the true origin of the characters, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows only the big screen version. Actually, I also know the animated series, shown on TV. Anyway, I did like this movie. It covers part of Wolverine's past, how he got his adamantium upgrade, his amnesia and other details.

There's plenty of action, great special effects (except perhaps one makeup job near the end of the movie, which you'll figure out once you see it), interesting characters and the story is pretty good. By the way, about a third of the spectators knew better, just like me, than to leave before the very end of the movie... Are we clear on this? OK, then let me be crystal clear: There is a scene at the very end of the movie, after the credits.

I'm not sure what will come next. Can they fit another story between this prequel and the first X-Men movie? Probably. They can do anything if you throw enough money at it. I'd be curious to see how they would bridge the events that don't quite follow the chronology.

Once again, the notes given to this movie are much better on Cinema Montreal than on IMDB. I'm not sure what this says about us Montrealers, but I guess I'll keep trusting them more then the rest of the world!

No comments: