Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Movie review: The X-Files: I Want to Believe

I have been waiting a long time for this sequel and like many other, I was really looking forward to see The X-Files: I Want to Believe. There are two main subjects I can remember from the TV series and the first movie; Aliens & other strange creatures and religious & psychic themes. Unfortunately for me, this movie is about the second category. That's not what I want to believe in. Of course, this is fiction, so I don't have to believe it! So, I was a little disappointed by this movie, but I was still able to enjoy parts of it. Seeing Mulder & Scully together again is of course a major point of interest.

It is directed by Chris Carter and stars David Duchovny & Gillian Anderson in the main roles, as well as Amanda Peet as ASAC Dakota Whitney, Billy Connolly as Father Joseph Crissman (who happens to be psychic) and Xzibit as Agent Mosley Drummy in the main supporting roles. On IMDB, it is mentionned that the running time in Canada is 105 minutes and 100 minutes in the U.S.A. I wonder what we got to see that the Americans don't get to...

In the story, neither Mulder nor Scully are working for the FBI anymore. Mulder is somewhat of a hermit and Scully is a full-time doctor. But a special case, involving a psychic, pulls them back into action for the duration of this investigation. The characters have not changed too much, one a believer of paranormal events, the other not quite as much. It would seem they did get closer together, though... Of course, there are a few surprises here and there.

The story is OK and has it's moments. It felt more like a long episode, rather than a movie, but it is well produced. I hope they do another one, but I want aliens this time! During the end credits, the camera moves through what looks like water and ends with one last cute scene. It is rated PG-13 and is more for the hardcore fans, I believe...

No comments: